Theoretical Probability

Life is a sexually transmitted disease. No me no fun, KNOW me KNOW fun.

Friday, June 10, 2005

Its all about MONEY!!

Now that I am quite free for quite some time to come, I can think about some things which might be quite trivial or mundane for some. But a person with a sophisticated sense of ethics and good mannerism might appreciate it a bit. And to all the cynics who might be tempted to question my credentials for this philosophical work, let me explain my "achievements".
As you might be knowing, I have *seen* everything i.e. a corporate life, working in a company, and also leaving a company and also keeping many people guessing and making some people fuming from the mouth (quite literally at that)! and many more things that too in too short a span of time. So if you come up with an occasional smirk, I might attribute it to your immaturity ;).
I can safely assume that many of you might have experienced quite a few embarrassing situations. Coping with CHANGE is quite a difficult situation. Now that is what differentiates the boys from the PROFESSIONALS that we have eventually become (again an assumed fact which many would like to agree for quite selfish reasons or to ward off a controversial fact).
There are some sort of changes which are weird like the ones when you find when you grow hair in your armpits viz. when u hit puberty. There are some changes which are irritating, like for instance, when you are told to shift your room from one hostel to another. There are some more changes which are plain old dumb like the speedbrakers and the road blocks that can pop up anytime in our insti. You are walking on the road and you can see a mile of clearly and *bam* you ram into a road block or the chain blocks that are set up and changed with a deadly punctuality (as far as it is permissible by our more than modest “security” guards). Maybe they want to pretend that the changing the location of the chain or the road block or opening or closing one portion of the magnificent main gate with each passing hour of the day is their answer to the raising and lowering of the Indian tricolour at the Wagah border. Who knows. That is the only logical explanation I can think of. Please enlighten me if I am wrong.
But the CHANGE in question is of the embarrassing type. You have been pampered and nourished and spoon fed by your parents till you were dumped here to face this cruel world (well I might be an exception here). Your parents have taken care of you through out. “Paal pos ke bada kiya hai”.
Now swoooosh… you start earning more than your parents (with a few exceptions here and there, we are basically from middle class families whose parents work in those *safe* and *secure* government jobs). Suddenly, your parents realize that after having slogged for some 30 odd years, their tiny tot is earning more money than them….
Now assuming that you are a NORMAL kind of Indian guy or a girl, raised on morals and most of all conservative line of thinking, naturally, you want to give your parents all the material comfort you can give. Because believe me, you cannot even imagine to get the kind of respect your father or your mother gets in your entire life. The only thing that you can achieve in this rat race is the plain old $$. You will not have anything if this “M Power” is taken away from your profession!! There is no pride working in a cubicle which mysteriously resembles like a kennel or a stable minus the bonds (I mean a leash here but some companies do have those literally ;) ).
Now the embarrassing situation I alluded not too long ago is, suppose you go to a hotel, or for that matter a super market, or even the vegetable market like monda market. When the bill comes, as you have sucked your parents dry of all their life’s saving, it is quite natural for you to take the bill. But your mom cracks and says that you haven’t grown so much as to start paying the bills.
Your body freezes. The only feeling you can have if this happens is to rip some part of your body off (if it is not so important like the head…. or is it really important??). There has to be some rule or something as to how you should do your level best when it comes to matters related to $$. The optimal result being “To piss off your parents the LEAST”.
As any good research paper. I will give one optimal solution to the above problem. Maybe you can buy stuff that you think, your parents need and pretend that it is really for your own use or need or something like… I hope you understand what I mean. But the difficult part is, you should do this so subtly that your parents don’t find out that you are giving them something or trying to overdo them (kinda reminds me of that F.R.I.E.N.D.S episode when Chandler tries to give money to Joey and comes up with all sort of stupid ways to give him the money without hurting his pride). Because, coming from my home as I usually do quite often, there is a really really thin line between “patting my back” and a “kick in the bottom”.
If you have any good algorithms or set of instructions on this issue about “How to spend your money for the ones who made you what you are and by not belittling them”, please do share your thoughts.

2 Comments:

Blogger agastyabhrata said...

hmm...hmmm...hmmmm

okay, how about giving all that you earn to your parents (as it generally happens, we are closer to our mothers - so give it to them)and then ask them for ur expenses - they'll decide on what to spend when - and we do away with the headache of thinking about spending...

1:08 AM  
Blogger diver said...

he he he

i was still wondering what you wanted to stay in this post when i was half way through. But then, you have made a good point afterall for the first time :D.

This issue is really serious. I have one good solution. You give me all your salary and then tell your parents that 'because god has given me such good parents who care for me so much , I have given whole of my salary in donation to a NGNRO (bole to non-gov and non-reliable org.n) ' . If you want to talk about this further meet me personally.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home